Sunday, October 2, 2011

Back to my Roots

A few weeks ago, on a Thursday afternoon, I was looking at myself in the mirror and mentioned casually to Dave that I wished I could wear my hair darker but because of the little gray patch on the right side of my head (which surfaced while serving in Switzerland on my mission), I have just kept lightening my hair.

Later that evening when Dave returned from work, he had a bag full of hair color and highlights from Wal-Mart. Seriously, Dave?!!! After several hours of persuasion, I chose to let him color my hair darker and throw on some highlights. The result: Not Too Shabby.But the story doesn't end here.

I told Dave that although the color job he had done on my hair was nothing short of awesome, it didn't look grand. :) His feelings were that if my base color was darker, the contrast of the highlights would look better. I told him that I would have my hairdresser figure that out.

Later that evening, when we returned home from work, he had another bag from Wal-mart containing hair color, clips, combs and some gum. We went back and forth the rest of the evening about my hair. Dave said that he had been watching Youtube videos and knew exactly what to do. I told him he was allowed to throw on some highlights but I was pretty certain I'd be getting my hair "fixed" the next day.

At 10:00pm we began. I had my computer on my lap and was waiting for the highlights to begin when SMACK- something wet and big hit the side of my hair. I looked in the mirror and saw that Dave was throwing on a new dark color! I yelled, "What are you doing?" Dave replied, "You need this darker."

To make a long story short, at 1:00am I looked like this:

Black and Orange HAIR!

I was furious! We sat across the living room from each other. He said, "You still look gorgeous to me." I said, "Dave what have you learned from this?" Dave replied, "That you're always right." I exclaimed, "Dave, what ELSE have you learned from this?" "That I don't know what I'm doing", replied Dave sheepishly. "That's right! A few Youtube videos doesn't make you an expert!"

I quickly sent a text to my hairdresser with SOS: I need help! At 1:45am, she responded that she could come in early at 7:30am to fix my hair.
Meredith was DYING of laughter! She said, "I don't know what color your hair will be with you leave, but I'll have you looking good.

And I think she did

And I LOVE my new color, which is of all things, is as close to my original color as I've been in several decades.....

3 comments:

Melissa said...

OK, so this made me laugh so hard!!! You are one brave woman to let Dave even do it once. Clayn will NEVER touch my hair with color! I love the end result! I love the dark. Thanks for the laugh, you made my night.

Jenna said...

I LOVE it! And I too, laughed hard. :-) I can't believe you were brave enough to let him try in the first place. Brave! Can't wait to see you in person.

Judy said...

I LOVE it. You look so great, I love your new hair.