
Yesterday was pretty much a perfect day for me. While Dave was off taking care of his diabetic patients, the kids and I held our first "Power Hour"- an hour where we all worked together cleaning our house, putting away laundry etc without drama, fighting or arguing. At the beginning, I told the kids that if we dug in for one hour together, we could get our work done quickly and then have time to do some fun things together. And thus the "Power Hour" was created! :)
After Dave came home, we went out for lunch and then drove to the THIS IS THE PLACE monument and village in Salt Lake City. It was an incredible experience. The kids LOVED it and both Dave and I wished we would have left earlier because we could have easily spent an extra hour or two there.

Taylor was really touched by the things she saw and read. All of the kids had lots of questions about the pioneers and founding fathers of the valley.

I love this shot of Dave and kids, reading and learning.

Ahhhhh....that's my family!

I can't believe that the kids are finally old enough to stand together for a picture. Alyssa was awesome too. I love my little family so much.


Maybe I should take back the previous comment about Alyssa.....

We boarded a little train which took us to various locations of the pioneer village.

Dave, Alyssa and Jax on the train.

A picture of the monument from the train, heading west to the Brigham Young class.
The School House


The kids were fascinated with the school house. They got right to work on their chalkboards while the pioneer lady told Dave and I how school worked in the mid-1800s.

Taylor was able to demonstrate what pioneer children were told to do when they made poor choices. Step 1: Stand on a log with their noses on the wall with their arms extended behind them.

Step 2: They placed books in their hands to add weight for additional punishment. Step 3: the switch! Step 4: Go home for the beating of a lifetime!

Time to cool off with a drink!
Pony Rides

The kids loved their pony rides.
Here is Austin with his eyes shut!

Cowboy Jaxson!

Cowgirl Taylor
(Grandpa Hatch - you would have been proud of the kids! They rode like pros!)
The Blacksmith Shop
This place took me back to my Danish roots since my great grandfather Nielsen was a blacksmith
(did I miss a "great", Mom?).

The ANIMALS

There was an area for the kids to go out and pet the lambs, goats and chickens. They loved feeling how soft the lambs were.

Alyssa clung to her daddy but finally got the courage to pet the lamb.

Taylor loved the entire experience.
Dalmatian-style goats!We got a huge kick out of the polka-dotted goat! Austin and Jaxson had to pet it.




Back on the train and off to the
Native American section of the park!

There was a train ride around a pond, ship for the kids to explore and mining for gold at this stop!
The SHIP
Here we found a small replica of the ships used to cross the ocean.



Panning for GoldThe trappers were ready for the Lindsay kids! They gave the kids bowls and had them pan for gold in the river. Taylor, Jaxson and Austin ate it up.

Dave was so darling with Taylor


Taylor and Austin looking for gold in their pans


Madison's Baptism
Even though we could have stayed a few more hours at the village, we headed to our van around 3:15 to take off for Madison's baptism at 5:00. She was so beautiful with her red hair in that white dress! Here is a picture of her and Jaxson after the baptism.

We took some pictures of the Justin's family with Jana's parents.


Jana was such a trooper! She is expecting baby #4 in under two weeks! Justin family is just adorable. We love them so much.

I didn't take pictures at the house afterward, but Brantly and Melanie, Ginger and Josh and their baby girls were there along with a bunch of Jana's family. We ate a yummy dinner, hit a pinata and had the greatest visit. I love my family so much.
Pretty much the perfect day for me!
7 comments:
What a great idea for a POWER HOUR!!! I'm going to have to try it! It looks like such a fun time up the canyon and at the baptism! Wish we could have been there, too.
That looks like a great day, we have never been there so we will have to go. You have such a cute family!!!!
You need to tell me prices for 'this is the place' What a great education and fun learning experience!
Love the "Power Hour"....I get complaints with my wimpy "Tidy Ten". As always, hats of to you, Wonder Mom! School is out for us in three weeks...perfect time to initiate the power hours! Looks like you are having lots of fun. Beautiful kids and beautiful you!
So fun Jody! And so fun to talk to you today! Miss you!
Wow that was so neat to see! I love your little Alyssa! She is so funny! Your family is just so adorable:)
And Sorry I haven't been on here for a while! But I got caught up looking at your other posts! So fun! I am going to be working on our cruise post now since it's been THREE months that we went!
Post a Comment