Monday, March 26, 2012

Foreign Language Week 2012

You're Connected......Now Communicate

Unintentionally, I don't write much about my job outside of my family. Today I will!

I am passionate about education and teaching students about different languages & cultures around the world. I love to see students make connections and see the world differently. I love to hear them communicate with each other using words and phrases foreign to them in their upbringing. I LOVE German!

Foreign Language Week was a blast and busy-busy-busy. During lunches, we had face painting- our honors art students painted the flags and countries from where our students come, a chopsticks and rice eating contest, soccer, and some other German and French games. The students enjoyed the Foreign Film Festival (where we watched the top German, French and Spanish movies made by students) and a Cultural Quiz Game Show.

On Friday, we had our assembly. I was in charge of it and was stressed out completely. Only 4 of my 11 numbers had come to the Thursday dress rehearsal and only a few more were there the morning of the assembly. Nobody canceled but several dancers bailed last minute.


My two MCs: Tanner and AJ


TWo of the choirs sang songs from Slavokia and another in Swahili (African)

Beautiful Dancing from Tahiti

Spain's Paso Doble
Incredible!

A Celtic Irish Dance: Stunning!



Native American Hoop Dance
Spectacular!





Tikwando from Korea

Hip Hop: America's Contribution to our World Culture!

The Finale: Several of our faculty coming out and singing "We Are The World" with images of people and places around the world. The choirs joined in and the audience did too.





What an incredible experience to be part of the greatest student body and tradition. I love where I teach. I really do!

No comments: