Monday, March 1, 2010

Tribute to Grandpa Hatch

Ammon Paul Hatch

A Farewell To A Beloved Grandfather And Role Model

This blog entry will be dedicated to Grandpa Hatch, the only grandfather I ever knew. He passed away a few weeks ago while Dave and I were in Hawaii. My cell phone rang at 3:30am (Dad, who had just arrived in the mission field in New Jersey, forgot the time change---but I didn't care) with the news of his passing. Grandpa Hatch was 100 years old. You might think that his death wouldn't have been so surprising for his grandchildren......yet it was. He lived independently, drove, shopped, read, etc, up until his final week on this earth. I think we all felt 105 was do-able!

When I attended the funeral, I was moved to improve my life. Grandpa Hatch wasn't perfect; yet he is one of the most influential men I've known. He was adored by his family and friends! He was respected and revered too. Here are some pictures I just love of my grandfather:

September 2009
Grandpa Hatch's 100th Birthday Celebration

Grandpa and Grandma Hatch

Our family at the 100th Celebration

Grandpa and Grandma were temple workers at the Logan Temple for many years.

Here is a picture of me, Dad and my grandparents in Auburn, Alabama.

Here is Grandpa Hatch's Family!

At age 90, he still rode his horse!
Grandpa, Dad, Jose and our family friend, Ben

Grandpa climbed on this steer in Fort Worth, TX, while visiting my parents on their first mission

Farewell to a modern-day hero. I love you, Grandpa! Thanks for the example, friendship and love! I am so proud to be your granddaughter. You have inspired me to live a better life for my own posterity.

Love,
Jody

1 comment:

Chelle said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to your grandpa. I've always heard you talk so fondly of him, and I am so sorry for your loss. What a blessing to have had such an inspiring and influential man in your life for so many years!