When 2026 began, I had NO idea I would how life-changing this year would be career-wise.
One of my friends/former colleagues, Brittany Call, reached out to me to share that a really great job was going to go live at the MTC: a level 3 manager for the Asian and Pacific Island languages.
I thought about it.
And then I applied.
A few weeks into the interviewing process, I learned a few things:
1- I was their leading candidate
2- The MTC would need me before May 22nd
3- Alpine School District required that I officially declare retirement by Feb 1st; ASD also required me to complete the school year.
So I wrote the superintendent an email and asked for an exception---if I was offered the position and accepted it, could I still retire with full ASD benefits and the retirement incentive. I was shocked when I received the reply: YES! I was granted an exception.
As we inched toward Feb 1st, I realized I would need to separate my decision to retire from the MTC job, because if the job didn't come through, I would need to have peace moving forward. I realized it felt right.
So on January 31st, Dave and I attended the Chinese New Year Celebration at SHS. As we were leaving, Jaxson called and asked us when we were going to be home. I knew something was up! When I arrived home, the kids were there with my computer and said, "Mom- we are all here! It's time to officially declare your retirement." It took a few attempts to get all the boxes checked, but finally I hit the button and it became immediately official!
The kids brought me roses and then gifted me the most beautiful gold necklace with a diamond. Just exquisite! One of my all-time most favorite jewelry pieces ever. I really love how they made a big deal of this. They know my love of my profession and how difficult this decision has been for me.
So here's to the unknown!
Facebook Comments:























No comments:
Post a Comment