Monday, January 25, 2010

The WORST FHE EVER!

Okay, so I just had one of those nights where you drop to the floor after the kids go to bed and say, "Are you KIDDING me? Did that REALLy just happen?"

Let me set the scene. It went something like this........

The theme was missionary work, in honor of my parents entering the MTC today. I had pictures of the United States and world so the kids could see better where Dave and I served and where my parents are off to. After we talked about what missionaries do, we started looking at the maps and I showed the kids where we all began our journeys (MTC in Utah) and where we flew to (Wisconsin, Switzerland and New Jersey.) Here is where things went down.

Jax: So mom, did the airplane crash on your way to your mission?
Me: NO, son! Our airplane didn't crash.
Tae: What if you crash on your way to Hawaii next week?
Jax: She'll die.
Me: Hey- mom and dad will be just fine. Let's talk about where Grandpa & Grandma are going to serve!
Jax: But if your plane crashes in the water, you'll get out, won't you mom?
Me: Son- usually people go see Heavenly Father if their plane crashes.
Tae: That means you die. Did you die when you went on the airplane to your mission?
Me: Kids! Nobody is going to die on the airplane! Now, one of these days YOU will get to be missionaries!
Jax: Not me! I NEVER want to go on a mission and be a missionary because I don't want to die on the airplane.

At that point, it because obvious that we were done with the lesson. I learned a lot tonight. I learned how a great bonding experience can turn into a creepy conversation. I would like to thank my offspring for this small gift.

Hats off to the worst FHE ever!

9 comments:

Jenna said...

So funny Jod! Thanks kids for the laugh!! :-) Congrats to your parents! So exciting!!

Babs said...

Ha ha ha!!!! Oh you gotta love the tangents. When we taught the 8-9 year olds in primary, many a lesson turned to the topics of death, dismemberment, zombies, ghosts and boogers. Not sure how we got those out of the New Testament, but they seem to be universal themes. Keep up the good FHE's and have fun in Hawaii!!!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

I am sorry but I can't helped but be reminded from that conversation of the good ol German days in class with John Holbrook? I.E. Mrs. Hatch I am going to sew you a birthday sweater with my leg hairs.

Chelle said...

You did the right thing Jody. Toss them into bed and try to forget that FHE ever happened.

That sounds like most of our FHE's. You think you've got a good lesson and want to share an important message, but the kids have ideas of their own. Our FHE's however, usually end up with fighting and the humiliation of one or more children.

Somehow, I'm sure your kids will get the message of missionary work even if it's not in a formal FHE. I am, however going to say my prayers for safe travel for all of you.

Melissa said...

OH, I am sitting here laughing, because this is conversations that we have on a daily basis not just saved for FHE. Parker will say things like mom what would happen if you got shot, I know you would bleed to death. And then comes the most disturbing part, when he says, wouldn't that be funny? Really, I've got one sick kid!!! No more Criminal Minds/ Law & Order's for him. I really don't let him watch them, but he could come up with sick things. Seriously, KIDS!!!

Tiffany Anderson said...

FUNNY!!!Thanks for sharing! PS your blog is so cute!!! I am glad I was finally able to find you.

Andrew and Charonne- said...

ok that really is funny

Chantelle said...

Jody - I am laughing so hard, I'm sorry that your FHE was such a bummer though.

Cathy said...

Ok..that was hilarious. Glad to know that we are not alone in our crazy kid conversations..I love the Hawaii pictures! Thanks for you blog address!