Sunday, January 3, 2010

Stealing in 2010- I've gotta do it!

Today during sacrament meeting, I took Alyssa to the mother's room so we could fight over the bottle vs the breasts (yes, I'm done nursing). It was quiet and I was enjoying listening to the testimonies shared. Suddenly, I recognized the voice of one of my dear friends and neighbors, Jen. As she shared a beautiful testimony, she mentioned that she appreciated the friend in the ward who allows her to go to the temple every week. For a brief moment, I found my mind starting to say, "Man- Jen has such the princess life where so many people, including her husband, allow her the time to do everything she desires...." In the next moment, I stopped myself and quickly celebrated the life which I embrace! It is not perfect, but it's mine. And do I have the same free time that other friends have? NO, but that is okay because my life is so blessed and I love it. And I certainly embrace it!

Embrace

I'm going to begin this 2010 year by stealing. I'm going to steal a word and an idea from one of my dearest friends, Rachelle. Last year, she shared with me how she was going to choose a word to live by for the year instead of making resolutions and she chose the word, "embrace." I loved the idea at the time, yet being 8+ months pregnant and in pain, the only words which came to my mind were "defeat" and "DJSJDJFJHAUHAUDHHS." Today, in the mother's room at the church, I couldn't get the word "embrace" out of my mind.

Embrace

So what do I want to embrace this year?

My husband, Dave! He is the world to me and I want to embrace every moment we spend together, whether in the thick of raising children or in the quiet moments of the day.

Taylor! I want to embrace her last years as a little girl before the "tween" thing sets in too much more! I want to embrace the fact that she loves to hold my hand when we go out together and loves to kiss me.

Jaxson! I want to embrace his open mind and his creative edge. I want to embrace his excitement of life and learning. I want to embrace the love he shows me and his family.

Austin! I want to embrace this year where his mind is still so open! I want to embrace every time he says, "Mom, I just love you! May I give you a kiss?" I want to embrace this phase of moving from a 3-4 year old son.

Alyssa! I want to embrace her last stages of a "baby" before the toddler phase begins. I want to kiss those little cheeks, teach her songs, read her books and film her little giggles. I don't ever want to forget her as a baby.

ME! I really do! I want some things for myself this year! I want to grow spiritually, mentally. I want to be a better neighbor and teacher.

"Embrace" is the word I'll live by this year. And embrace I will!

So there, you have it. Stealing in 2010. What a great way to begin the new year....

8 comments:

Jenna said...

This is so you Jod. To focus on the positive and what you've got that you love. I'm going to have to do some stealing of my own here. :-) Love you! And I loved all the pics of the kids. So sweet.

Babs said...

What a great post! You are just such an amazing example (always have been). You have a wonderful family, and I love how much you appreciate them. XOXOX - Babs

Melissa said...

You are AMAZING! And I am totally stealing your idea & word. As soon as I read this, I thought that I must steal this also. What a great idea & adventure. Thanks for sharing & being who you are. Your family is growing so fast & they are so cute. Happy New Year!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

awww how sweet. ANd yes I think somtimes we hear things like that because if we are great like you, we will take it and use to to think about the great things in our life. You have a GORGEOUS house..and beautiful family. Dave seems like he is a great hubby too!

Sonya said...

Thanks for posting this! You are an example to me! Such a great mom! Your kids are so cute!

Chantelle said...

What an inspiring post - I love the idea. Thanks for sharing.

Chelle said...

I LOVE that you're stealing from me! That word was good to me last year :) It's great to read all the things you're embracing in your life. Happy 2010 to my dear friend. Love you!

Keith and Charayye said...

I have to tell you, I just love reading your words you say on your blog! You always are so gracious and it just goes to show what a wonderful person you are! I must say, it is nice to know that someone is going through the same breast feeding ordeal I went through! It is hard huh? Thank you for your sweet words on my blog addressing that! I just love all your Christmas pics! That Alyssa I could just squeeze her! She is adorable! You really are an inspiration Jody! I want you to know that:)