Friday, February 27, 2009

The flip side of having a winter baby.....RSV!

Last Saturday morning, the boys woke me up holding their ears and crying. I called the doctor on call and made a quick appointment. I was already worried about the baby since she had started to cough a little bit in the night. An hour later, the doctor concluded that the boys had ear infections and Alyssa had a cold. Her cold became worse over the weekend so we took her in on Tuesday morning to be checked by our doctor. When he examined her and took her oxygen levels, he told me she might be going right in to the hospital for a few days. He was pretty certain she had RSV. He tried a breathing treatment with her which worked so well that he sent us home with a nebulizer to do these same treatments every 3 hours and a pass to go to the hospital as much as needed to have Alyssa deep suctioned.

That was Tuesday. And so our lives have been for the past 4 days--doctor's visits, hosiptal visits, pharmacy runs! On Wednesday, when we went in for a follow-up appointment, we learned that Alyssa had double ear infections on top of the RSV. Dave went to the doctor as well as he had double infections too! That means that Taylor is the only one in our family not taking an antibiotic.

It is so scary when your child struggles to breathe. Alyssa will get coughing and become plugged up when she needs to take a breath. We go to the hospital twice a day right now for the deep suctioning and we are only doing the breathing treatments 3 times a day. I am hoping for a bit more sleep over the weekend since Dave should be home more.

5 comments:

Andrew and Charonne- said...

thats sucks! I just got over double ear infections too, I have been sick for 2 months!

Judy said...

I'm sorry. That's awful. Kate's had a couple rounds of RSV and pneumonia as well. It's horrible. Hopefully you don't wind up in the hospital... that's the worst. Let us know when you are willing to risk visitors and we'll come and see her.

We're Hatchin' said...

Wow, Jody!! Having RSV is bad enough, but having the boys and Dave sick as well, is...well, I'm sorry. I hope that you're all doing better. We'll continue keeping you all in our prayers!

Keith and Charayye said...

Oh I hope all will be ok! We will pray for you all!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

NO way!!! It's amberlin Bodiy baxter!!!! hi hi hi!