So, I chose not to take any pictures of this memory since the sooner I can close my eyes and not see it, the better I will start sleeping.
This was the worst day of my life thus far. When we arrived at swimming lessons, I chose to park the new van where it would get hit by a sprinkler with hard water just so I wouldn't have to park where there are so many kids running around after swimming lessons. The place I chose kept my kids on the sidewalk instead of having to cross into the parking lot as well.
We had just finished swimming lessons and were walking (west) on the sidewalk. Austin suddenly darted to the right into the parking lot! I quickly scanned the lot to see if there were any cars coming and couldn't see any since I was trying to catch him without making a race out of the chase. I almost had him, and then he made a dart to the left again. A van was zipping around the corner and wasn't slowing down. I screamed as it crunched into Austin's left side (head mainly). The blow threw him about 4 feet onto his back. The driver was able to stop before she ran over him. Several mothers and I ran to Austin, who was screaming. One gal said that she had EMT experience and was checking him for neck, spine and head injuries. The asphalt was hot so we moved in over to the grass. Somebody called 911 and another mom called Dave and told him to go to AF hospital asap. Carl Nielsen, a police officer who had worked at my junior high for several years, was the first policeman to arrive. Within another minute, the ambulance, firetruck and about 8 other policemen were there to help. THey loaded a screaming boy into the ambulance and told me to get in. Some people at the pool told me they would watch Taylor and Jaxson.
At the hospital, they checked for head injuries etc. The miracle is that Austin didn't break a bone nor did he have any stitches. His head had tons of bumps and bruises on the front (from the car) and the back (from landing on his head and back) but he is okay. We were released after a time and told to watch him like a hawk for 24 hours. Dave's mom took Taylor and Jaxson for the next 24 hours so we could consentrate on Austin.
This entire experience has certainly added perspective and humility in our lives. It is truly a miracle that this entire ordeal wasn't more serious. We have been blessed again.....
2 comments:
Someone's angels must have been keeping a close eye on him that day. I'm so glad he's okay and hopefully mom's not too shaken up still.
I can't believe I didn't even tell you congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm so excited for you.
I'm so glad you're updating your blog - love to read about your day-to-day happenings and see pictures of the beautiful kiddos!
-Rachelle
I think that you should be exempt from anymore trips to the ER this year.
-Korbie
Post a Comment