Friday, May 2, 2014

And they're off! Grandpa and Grandma Hatch leave for the Canary Islands!

And they're off to the Madrid, Spain Mission for a year!

Mom and Dad left on April 28th for a year-long assignment working with the Young Single Adults in the Canary Islands.  Here are some pictures I found of this place:






 On Sunday, mom and dad met at our home and came to church with us.  They wore these beautiful leis that some students from their mission to New Jersey had given them.  Dad wore his during sacrament meeting and then gave it to me to wear for primary.  The children thought I had been to Hawaii (I wish!).

After church, we took some pictures and ate some yummy steak carnitas for the last supper.   We worked on mom's facebook and blog.  I will add it to "These are a few of my favorite blogs"!  It is http://lifewithgaryandlarae.blogspot.com








Around 8:30pm, it was time to leave for the MTC to get their packing finished since they were leaving at 4:30am the next morning.  Goodbyes are never easy and Grandma cried.





 When we went to go, Alyssa freaked and started sobbing because she thought I was leaving to go on the mission with them!  Oh, little dolly!  Not this time!  But how sweet are you to show how much you love your momma!
 Mom made several phone calls to the kids on our way to the MTC.  She cried and cried.  It is hard for her to go.  It's hard for dad, too, but in a different way.

Back at the MTC, we had the task of weighing each one of the suitcases to make certain they were under 50 lbs and the carry-ons were under 35 lbs.  With each one opened, I noticed something and I finally said, "Mom, every time we open a suitcase, your things are in there.  Is Dad taking anything on this mission?"  Her reply was, "Your dad wants me to be the best dressed missionary on the island."  HAHAHA!  When we had to take out 5 1/2 lbs from one of her suitcases, she muttered under her breath, "If I have to take out one more pair of shoes, this mission is off and I'm going home."  I was able to sneak the red ones out.  It will be a nice surprise next spring when she arrives home!

It is hard to say goodbye to two of the finest people I know!  I love my parents dearly and am overwhelmed by their example of service and love.  The youth in the Canary Islands are about to get really lucky! Yes, we are willing to share our parents for a year!

Adios mis padres!  Vayan con Dios!

No comments: