I had the absolute thrill of being surrounded by dozens of Utah ASL teachers at their summer professional learning conference. The energy, expertise, creativity, and genuine commitment to students in that room were incredible.
As President of the Utah Foreign Language Association, I am continually reminded that our language educators are doing far more than teaching a language. They are creating opportunities for students to communicate, connect, and demonstrate what they can actually do.
And in my new role with Language Testing International, I find myself looking at assessment through an even deeper educator lens.
Best-practice assessment isn't just about a score.
The best assessments give students an opportunity to show what they can actually do—not simply what they can remember. They give teachers meaningful information. They help programs demonstrate impact. They can validate learning, inform teaching, motivate students, and open doors.
That matters deeply to me because I have spent my career watching what happens when students realize, “I can actually do this.”
Utah ASL teachers, thank you for letting me be a small part of your day. Your commitment to students is inspiring.
As President of the Utah Foreign Language Association, I am continually reminded that our language educators are doing far more than teaching a language. They are creating opportunities for students to communicate, connect, and demonstrate what they can actually do.
And in my new role with Language Testing International, I find myself looking at assessment through an even deeper educator lens.
Best-practice assessment isn't just about a score.
The best assessments give students an opportunity to show what they can actually do—not simply what they can remember. They give teachers meaningful information. They help programs demonstrate impact. They can validate learning, inform teaching, motivate students, and open doors.
That matters deeply to me because I have spent my career watching what happens when students realize, “I can actually do this.”
Utah ASL teachers, thank you for letting me be a small part of your day. Your commitment to students is inspiring.




No comments:
Post a Comment