Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Bringing in an "Uncomfortable" New Year 2019!

 At the beginning of each year, I love to pick a word to ring in my ear in the upcoming hours, days, weeks, and months. As I reflected on 2018 and spent some time answering some journal questions that tracked what 2018 meant to me, I realized that I had experienced some significant changes in 2018 leading into 2019 that although exciting, felt a little foreign and uncomfortable to me.  I had lost 33 pounds, started a new job that was all about coaching and creating vision for others, embarking on a home-based church curriculum, and had a new calling in the stake.  The things I was comfortable doing, like eating what and when I wanted, teaching German for 24 years, working with my ward family etc, were suddenly altered and in my past.  As I reflected on these significant changes, it hit me how growth has always come when I am uncomfortable.  Those routines, work, and habits that were and are familiar were easy; therefore, I needed to become comfortable being uncomfortable again!

It is uncomfortable to establish new gospel-centered study habits with my children, but I have been promised beautiful blessings if I will consistently do them!

It is uncomfortable not eating what and when I want. Mindless eating is rewarding; being a little hungry or passing on endless treats at work is uncomfortable.  Yet I need to be uncomfortable to change these habits until the new habits become comfortable for me.

It is uncomfortable not be the master teacher of a classroom.  It is uncomfortable to not know all of the answers, to realize there are those around you who are years ahead of you in philosophical education, and to be leading groups of people far superior to yourself.  Yet I know that being uncomfortable in this new job will stretch me to learn, develop, and be a greater influence than what I have ever known.

It is uncomfortable to get out of bed to tuck in the lingering teens who are dying to talk a little more with mom before bed.  But the memories, understanding, and relationships build both current and future reward.

So, there we have it.  Uncomfortable stretches, refines, and challenges one to create new zones of comfort.  I'm excited to see where this word takes me this year!





No comments: